The Principals at SWORD started their Lean Journey over three decades ago by adopting the then emerging technology of BIM. BIM technology has become a de-facto tool for Architects, Contractors and Specialty Trades alike. At SWORD we have set the pace in model-centric design that encourages partners to work together proactively to set performance standards that optimize the whole and not the parts.
As industry thought leaders and coaches, we can assist your project teams in getting the best performance from the use of BIM technology and process improvement. We have perfected how to reduce risk, optimize schedules and decrease rework from project validation through commissioning.
Our team has broad experience coaching project teams in developing and managing BIM models for optimum productivity.
Project Validation & Pre-Construction
- Coach teams to use the BIM Execution plan and other collaborative Lean tools to define conditions of satisfaction of key stakeholders and create design decision priorities.
- Create strategies for using set-based design, target value budgeting and rapid prototyping.
- Assist with defining scope and iterating design options for costing, construction logistics, pre-fabrication opportunities and schedule evaluation.
- Creating Design Development BIM models which provide a collaborative tool for early assessment of the design.
- Design Development modeling for all building systems to provide the integrated project team with a collaborative platform that defines model hand-offs for continuous workflow.
- Coach team leadership in using Lean tools to create a network of reliable promises / commitments and to establish a work culture of continual improvement.
- Mentoring design teams in conforming to the BIM Execution Plan, which will inform the production cycle of contract documents, design data validation, and project team collaboration. This includes workflow logistics, virtual mock-ups, location based scheduling and first run studies.
- Assist teams in real time budgeting, workflow management, direct purchasing from the model, takt time simulations and other Lean supply chain management.
- Coaching how to create BIM models that can be used by project teams in cloud-based model management.
Project Close Out – As Built/Record Models
- Show teams how to use drones, laser scanning and other innovative technologies to create As-Built and Record Models that have downstream uses for FM Systems.
- Apply Lean principals to support downstream Lean project deployment and hand-off of the BIM model for commissioning, operations and maintenance.